Today is my Mom’s 56th Birthday, and so to celebrate with YOU GUYS, I want to give you just a SMALL SAMPLE of the lessons I’ve learned from her example in my life… as my Mom, my best friend, my mentor, and my #1 fan. Happy Birthday, MOM! Love you so much!
- My Mom taught me that life – and everything worthy of pursuing in life — is an endurance sport… never a sprint. It’s not about slow and steady, it’s about focus and commitment.
- My Mom taught me that marriage is tough and beautiful and frustrating and exciting and WORTHY of our 100% effort.
- My Mom models how important friendships are for women. She still hangs out with the friends she’s known since the first grade. She’s forgiven friends I would have QUICKLY written off. She used to have pajama parties with the girls, when I was a teenager. And she still takes annual trips with “the girls.” In fact, the last time she said she was proud of me was saying, “Michelle, I’m so proud of you for really taking the time to engage in conversation and make friends.” This was just a couple weeks ago! lol…..
- She continues to model the RAW VALUE of just “being real.” No faking it, no pretending, no bull-crap. Just truth. It’s a rare commodity, in business and in life. No WONDER it’s magnetic. (Btw, you can find My Mom doling out daily life and health tips at Your Holistic Guru!)
- She set the bar for motherhood as high as it could possibly go. This means two things for me as a Mom, 1) Although she’ll disagree with me, I know that she was/is a far better Mom to me than I am to my kids and 2) Her example – and my determination to be LIKE HER in the area of motherhood — makes ME a far better Mom than I’d ever have been otherwise. Want MOM advice? Ask her. You couldn’t get a better Mom than mine. THIS I know for sure!
- She continues to revel in a contagious ZEAL for life. She wakes up everyday grateful for a new day. She loves to play and laugh and eat fine food and relax on the beach and read great books and watch great movies. Her example reminds me to “Lighten up!” =)
- She taught me that AGE is an issue of MINDSET and ACTIVITY — not number. My kids always joke about how young their grandparents are. And, young they are. My mom is active every day and constantly stimulates her mind, so I predict she’ll stay YOUNG for a very long time.
- She modeled confidence for me. I don’t think she always felt bold and confident… but that is always what I saw.
- She set an example of a Woman of Faith for me. She laid down a Biblical Foundation for me, from which I could never get too far away from. I’m eternally (literally) so grateful for this.
- She modeled a “NO EXCUSES” mindset. My Mom didn’t grow up in a home like mine… far, far, FAR from it. But, it was never an excuse for her. You’ll never hear her “blaming her Momma.” =) She accepted the faults that came with her parents being human and flawed (and selfish) and embraced the good they did as well.
Theres much more, but I’m tearing up… so I’d better go! Happy Birthday Mom! I love you more than you know!