Posts Tagged ‘sales success’
I get (and probably should) lots of questions about my success in sales. HOW can I outsell others in my industry or region? HOW do I get around this whole “can’t afford to buy” dilemma? WHAT can other business owners do differently???
Truth be told, I often ask myself those same questions…. why would I be able to “sell” coaching when there are countless coaches who have more experience than me…. coaches who have published books – sometimes impressive ones… coaches who have invested MORE in building teams and online presence…. who are struggling to find clients? Why me? Well, the answer, is probably more simple than you imagine. And perhaps, if you yourself are struggling to sell your products or services, even more straightforward than you would like to hear.
Why? Why do most business owners take comfort in long, complicated sales training? And, WHY would I think that you WOULDN’T want a real-world, works-for-anyone, SIMPLE, STRAIGHT FORWARD plan to make more money in your business?
First, because if sales are so DAG ON complicated, we are free to think: it’s no wonder we are struggling the way we are. Second, and most importantly, this obstacle course made up of some umpteen – step plan of cold-calling (NEVER do it!), prospecting (which sucks), positioning, posturing, dancing with the potential clients, sales presentation, prepping the close, fending off objections….. Well, it puts off the actual sale. When we are role-playing and practicing, and gathering material and creating brochures, we’re so busy…. we forget we’re not selling!
I’m not against reasonable preparation, and completely advocate investing (your time and money) in becoming an EXPERT at sales and marketing….In fact, your business income depends on it. But, I could just SCREAM out of total frustration when I hear these sales – shy entrepreneurs. On the flip side, I could make a MINT selling some course or blueprint that promises increased business income WITHOUT EVER HAVING TO SELL. (In fact, many companies do… bringing on reps with the promise: These products LITERALLY sell themselves!! Uh – huh…)
Bottom-line: Many very talented, inventive, innovative and brilliant small business owners are literally creating obstacles for themselves – desperate to push that scary moment where they may actually have to SELL something further into the future. As if by doing all of this PREPARATION, the masses will find out about us, track us down, ask us about our product or service… and then, of course, sell themselves and hand us the money. Like Tory Johnson says often, “If you don’t want to SELL, you are far better off as an employee rather than an entrepreneur.” Couldn’t have said it better myself.
Enough of my venting…. the answer to how I SELL – as a “nobody” without a book, without celebrity status, without a name people recognize – is super simple and you can do it too… in, like the infomercials promise, THREE EASY STEPS (Seething sarcasm NOT withheld):
- I embraced REALITY. The reality is that my willingness to, enthusiasm for, and fine-tuned ability to sell is the only thing standing between ME and the business income I want. By the way, NO! YOU – or your business or your industry – are NOT the exception to this reality.
- I determined to MASTER sales and marketing. I studied those who I KNEW were successful at sales. I became a student of those I bought from… and those I didn’t. I hired coaches, joined masterminds, and set out to make my sales process as enjoyable and as service-oriented as my coaching products or services themselves. (Thank you Steve Chandler!) I learned the power of WORDS, Tom Hopkins’ use of “phraseology”, and began mapping out a SALES STRATEGY. And then, WAY before I would have been deemed “ready” by any credible sales guru out there…..
- I woke up and decided to SELL SOMETHING ALREADY!
And, only then, was I in business!!! Is it EASY? Nope. Especially not at first. Does it take practice? You bet. Aren’t you born a good salesman or not? Absolutely not. Sales can (and should) be LEARNED – like any other skill.
I’ve never before been MORE aware of how many business owners genuinely HATE sales. I don’t just mean a playful “dislike” of sales. I’m talking about a genuine, consuming, nasty, and disdainful hatred. It’s a shame, because (obviously) without SALES, these business owners will never make any money.
Of course, what these people (mainly women??) are HOPING is that they won’t HAVE to sell… that they won’t have to ask for the business…. that people will come to them ASKING for their service or product…. seek them out…. offer them a fair price… and “close” themselves. They might not SAY these words exactly – although I’ve heard from some who will – but their thoughts (and actions) aren’t far off.
Of course we all know this ”strategy” is nothing short of ridiculous! While I hope you don’t feel as strongly as I’ve described above, if you are AT ALL interested in making any money as an entrepreneur, I URGE you to reconsider how you ARE feeling about sales… and marketing.
One of the true “secrets” of the seriously $ucce$$ful is that they begin (and nurture) a rock solid, intense, and passionate love affair with all things ”SALES”. In the beginning, these “sales lovers” may “eat what they kill”, but they also fall in love with the hunt. They learn to deliberately design an effective sales strategy…. carefully consider every word they use… and study their market, their competitors, and emerging trends with intense curiosity and an eye for detail….. AND, the best part is: they find every minute of this fun, invigorating, and, of course profitable.
More and more of my work as a coach, consultant, and entrepreneurial leader is focused on this often misunderstood, intensely feared little beast called “sales”. Before I close, I want to come clean. This blog post…. EVERY blog post, really. Every e-zine I send out… Every TWEET… ARE trying to sell you. Sometimes I am trying to sell you…
- on YOURSELF and your potential.
- the BRILLIANCE you already possess, but seem intent to ignore or, at least, not allow to shine.
- SELF-RELIANCE, so that you realize that when your business has a problem.. you are the problem.. and the solution.
- SELECTIVE HEARING… when the media is intent on keeping us paralyzed in fear.
- HOPE in a better tomorrow.
- FAITH in what is possible today.
- HUMOR, so we can laugh at ourselves and avoid taking ourselves too seriously.
- REBELLION… the crucial commitment to “do the opposite” (of what others are doing.)
- on “FAST”… determined not to put extra steps between you and the success you desire.
- on “SLOW” because I know that I accomplish so much more when I commit to slowing down.
- A NEW PERSPECTIVE… when what we are doing routinely fails to produce the results we are looking for, just MAYBE we are doing the wrong things.
- on EASY… simply doing the “obvious things”
- HIGH “FEE” ESTEEM – charging what you are truly worth
- SIMPLICITY… cutting through the clutter of life
- STRENGTH… that comes only with SUPPORT – because the road to success (if you are thinking big enough) can seem like an obstacle course at times.
- FOCUS … because it is the quickest way of reaching your goals
- COMMITMENT because the decision to succeed is as important as any marketing or strategic plan we can create
With ALL of the above in mind, my sincere hope is that my “sales” skills will prove MASTERFUL. Have questions, problems, or obstacles within your own business relating to effective sales and marketing? Leave me a message… send me an email…. and let’s see what we can create together. OH! And if you want MORE encouragement and step-by-step strategies to begin your own affair with the sales and marketing of YOUR business, join my mailing list RIGHT NOW at www.womenwhowow.com, so you can take part in my FREE “14 Days to a Bigger Bottom… (Line)” E-Course.
I can hear the gavel slam down on the defense attorney’s table as I type. OBJECTION!! On Ally McBeal, the stars would dramatically argue every point… stating objections, arguing them, proving their point. Most of the time, they would win. But in sales, we also encounter objections and the outcome is (many times) much more important to us – to our family – to our business – than any pretend case on prime time TV.
So, how do YOU handle them? Do you have a plan? Have you invested in becoming an expert sales person? (P.S. Your business depends on you mastering this skill / art / strategy!!)
This afternoon at 1 PM, I am hosting a tele-seminar on OBJECTIONS in sales. Included in this “meaty” seminar will be FIVE (simple) STRATEGIES you can use to sell more effectively and authentically. We’ll cover:
- How to USE sales objections to get closer to a YES….
- How to employ CURIOSITY to get you closer to the CASH…
- The “C” word you need to AVOID at all costs if you want to SELL…
- The strategies leading UP to a profitable sales conversation…
- Sales Savvy Solutions that are AUTHENTIC, SERVICE – ORIENTED, and PROFITABLE in every industry.
I am doing this call for FREE for my friend and partner, Tory Johnson of Women For Hire. It is taking place TODAY at 1 PM – virtually. To reserve your spot, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with OBJECTION in the subject line. That way, you’ll get your call in information, and we know you’re on the call so we can also send you the audio if you miss it live!
“See” you this afternoon!!!